A young woman’s death has led provincial police to issue a public safety warning about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Ontario.
On February 15, a 20-year-old woman was found dead in a vehicle in Ingersoll, Ontario. Police are now cautioning the public about the dangers of idling for too long.
Editor’s Choice: 21 Missing Teens Found In A Massive Youth Prostitution Sting In Winnipeg
Every owner of a motor vehicle is reminded about the dangers of sitting inside a running vehicle for extended periods of time.
OPP Oxford County
The woman was discovered at around 7 a.m. in the parking lot of a business on Charles Street West.
At this time, the OPP says the death is not being treated as suspicious and foul play is not suspected.
“In older vehicles, small leaks can develop in the exhaust system, leading to a potentially deadly build-up of carbon monoxide in the interior of the vehicle,” wrote police.
Drivers should have their exhaust pipe checked regularly if the vehicle is over five years old, and should never run a car inside a garage attached to a house, even if the garage door is open.
Carbon monoxide is odourless, tasteless, and colourless, says the statement. It can cause dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, headaches, and even death.
Just last month, a young Ontario couple died on a camping trip after entering a building that housed a generator emitting carbon monoxide.