Garage door rollers are necessary components of your overhead garage doors.
Without them, opening your garage doors will be more unpleasant than you think.
Your rollers are what guide your garage doors when they open and close.
They make sure that movement is smooth and done without any problems.
A lot of people don’t take much notice of their garage door rollers and oftentimes even neglect them.
This kind of attitude will eventually lead to a lot of problems.
When your garage door rollers become defective or deformed, it can lead to potential issues such as noisy garage doors, unbalanced garage doors, jammed garage doors, and more.
Fortunately for you, replacing your broken garage door rollers is not a very difficult job to do.
All you need to do is invest a little time and effort and you should do just fine.
If you want to know how to replace a broken garage door roller, then you have come to the right place.
How to know if your garage door roller needs to be replaced
Rollers are located along the sides of your garage door inserted between your garage door’s tracks.
The number of rollers needed for your garage doors varies significantly based on your garage door’s size.
The main purpose of your rollers is to allow for the smooth operation of your overhead garage doors.
However, just like every other component of your garage door, the time will come that your garage door rollers will need to be replaced.
However, how exactly do you know if your garage door rollers are needed to be replaced? Well, here are some tell-tale signs you can look for.
If your garage door rollers are starting to wear out, it starts making unnecessary noises when you open or close your garage doors.
It can be grinding noises, loud screeches, or clicking sounds.
Whatever it may be, once your rollers make these sounds, do not wait for it to break down definitely and have it replaced right away.
You can also tell if your garage door rollers are already worn out if they keep moving unnecessarily even when they are held tightly by their brackets.
If they do this, then you know that it is time to change them.
What you need to prepare for the task
Just like any other activity out there, no matter how easy replacing garage door rollers may be, you need to prepare the necessary materials that you’ll need to get the job done.
The proper equipment for the job will help you accomplish your goal much more quickly and efficiently.
As such, if you are attempting to replace your broken garage door rollers, then make sure that you have the following materials prepared:
- Replacement rollers
- Clamps & Pliers
- Claw Hammer
After making sure that the above-mentioned equipment is ready to use and are available, then you may now proceed to actually fix your garage door’s rollers.
Replacing your broken garage door rollers
Now that you have everything ready and set, it is now time to repair your broken garage door rollers.
Replacing your garage door rollers should be fairly easy but do you have any idea how to replace a broken garage door roller? If not then you are in luck.
Below are the things you need to remember and do if you are trying to replace your broken garage door rollers.
- Unplug your garage door opener and make sure to disconnect it from your garage doors. After doing so, manually lift your garage doors a few feet above the ground.
- After raising your doors a few feet above the ground, make sure to clamp it so it does not accidentally fall during the repairs.
- Deform your tracks a bit and pry your garage door rollers away from the tracks using the claw hammer. If this isn’t enough, try loosening your garage door’s tracks to make it easier to remove your rollers from the tracks.
- Once the roller is out, remove it from its brackets.
- Replace the damaged roller with your replacement garage door rollers. Make sure that it is held tightly so that there isn’t any unnecessary movement of your rollers.
- After installing your new garage door roller, replace it on your garage door tracks. Once it is popped back in, you may now proceed to fixing your garage door tracks and tightening them.
- Repeat the procedures for all the other garage door rollers that need to be replaced.
- Once done, remove the clamps, reattach your garage door openers and check if your garage doors are functioning as it should be.
If you want to see a more vivid instruction on how to replace garage door rollers, you may check out this video below.
Easy, am I right? As long as you follow the instructions properly, then you should be able to fix your broken garage door roller situation in no time.
If you find yourself lacking confidence or reluctant to replace your garage doors, then you can always seek professional help to assist you on the job.
If you are in Ottawa and are looking for a garage door repair company near you for your garage door problems and concerns, then you can always rely on Garage Door Repairs Pro.
We offer 24/7 garage door repair services making us available any time of the day for any of your garage door needs.
As long as it is related to your garage doors, then we can surely help you out.
What are you waiting for? For the best and quality emergency garage door services in Ottawa, there’s no one you can trust more than us.
Contact us now and see what we can do for you.
We will surely not disappoint.