On Saturday, January 23 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, Theater for the New City, 155 First Ave., will present the eleventh installment of “Open ‘Tho Shut,” its afternoon of “walk-by theater” that is staged in its set shop and visible from East Tenth Street between First and Second Avenues.
The program offers a succession of free, live performances in which acts are staged in the theater’s set shop for audiences of socially distanced passers-by, who watch through an open garage door on East Tenth Street. The shop was renamed “The Chopshop Theater” for this series. It is outfitted with an elaborate set by Mark Marcante and Litza Colon, full stage lighting by Alexander Bartenieff and a four-mic sound system. These live performances are also live streamed on TNC’s website (https://www.theaterforthenewcity.net) and Facebook page.
LINEUP OF PERFORMANCES
THEATER FOR THE NEW CITY – “OPEN ‘THO SHUT, PART TEN” – JANUARY 23, 2021
Info as of January 18, 2021
* Mistress of Ceremonies: Crystal Field
* Cobu (all-female Japanese Taiko drumming and dance troupe of Yako Miyamoto, Ayaha Otsuka, Mayu Yamashita, Micro Fukuyama and Kana Matsui).
* Amy Coleman (twice awarded Best Vocalist of the Year by Backstage)
* Khemali Murray (excerpt from her online comedy show, “Covid-19 Chronicles”)
* Zero Boy (entertainer and vocal acrobat)
* Arthur Abrams (Yiddish songs and Gershwin songs)
The series was launched November 14 as part of “More Ways than Broadway’s,” a city-wide collection of safe and socially…