Table of Contents
Written below is a list of Do-It-Yourself instructions for garage door repairs, so ready your tools, read on, then start working!
- To begin, use a vice grip to keep the garage door open as you remove and replace the cable.
- Using a ladder, position yourself below the door track, making sure that you have enough space to move and work.
- Using another vice grip, adjust it until it firmly holds on to the shaft so that you will be able to turn it just a bit, enough to loosen the cable.
(Remember, if you loosen the cable too much, the other line might come off and you will waste your day trying to get both cables back on the track.)
- After loosening, you may now remove the screw that is holding the cable in place, then slowly and carefully remove the line from the drum.
- Before you wind the new cable, bend the end that will be placed in the slot in the cable drum for easier insertion.
- Insert the end of the cable into the drum then begin to wind it, starting from the outer corner away from the door.
(Make sure that your hands continuously stay on the cable to keep it on the drum.)
- Place the loop on the pin, then secure it by using a vice grip to move the shaft until the cable is in place.
- After that, remove the vice grip holding the door, and you can now use your garage door with the newly installed cable.
Doing this installation can be time-consuming, so if your schedule cannot handle it, call in experts that will do the job for you!
Replacing the Middle Roller and Hinge
- Begin by unfastening the hinge’s bolts that secure it to the garage door.
- After you have removed the bolts, detach the hinge and roller from the garage door, then take out the roller from the track by angling the stem towards the garage and remove the roller from its hinge.
- Whatever you are replacing, change the old parts with the new ones then secure it back on the garage door.
Replacing the Pulley
- Working on pulley replacement can be quite dangerous, so begin by unplugging the cord of the garage door opener to make sure that it will not turn randomly while you are doing the replacement.
(Older garage door openers may need to be turned off by flipping a circuit breaker or removing a fuse.)
- For further prevention, detach the garage door from the opener.
(Older garage door openers may require that you also remove the drawbar arm.)
- To open the garage door, you will have to do it manually, making sure that the top section will not catch on to the broken pulley as this will cause damages.
- Position yourself on the side of the door near to the worn pulley, then slowly and carefully lift and open the door.
- Once open, use whatever creative idea you have to keep it open, such as propping a strong object under the door (like a ladder), or you can use a vice grip to keep the door open by putting it after the bottom roller.
- The next step is to detach the cable clip from the S-hook, then remove the cable from the pulley.
- Unscrew the bolt and nut that keeps the pulley on the track, then remove the nut from its bolt.
- Take off the worn pulley and place the bolt unto the new pulley, then put it back on track by finger tightening the nut to the bolt, then secure.
- Now go to the other pulley on the same side of the door and loosen its nuts, then remove it.
- To remove the bolt and the cable, use a screwdriver.
- Swap the new pulley with the old pulley with the present orientation of the cable on the old pulley and the pulley fork the same.
- Put the new pulley on the pulley fork then insert the bolt and the nut, then finger-tighten it.
- Tighten the nut and bolt to secure the pulley to the fork.
- Attach the cable clip to the S-hook by pulling the cable for the pulley attached to the extension spring.
- Loop the excess cable on the outside of the track to prevent it from damaging the door.
- Remove the garage door obstructions, check if everything is in place, and turn your garage door back on.
Too much work to do amidst your busy schedule?
If you live in Ottawa, Kanata, Orleans, or Ontario, the professionals of Garagedoorsproontario is willing to provide you with high-quality garage door repair service— all you have to do is contact them!